About The School
The Mission of Chuckey-Doak High School is to promote an active learning environment which facilitates the development of knowledge, skill, and character.
The vision of CDHS is to provide students with the pathways that will empower them to achieve their goals and make positive contributions to their community and family.
About The School
To fulfill this mission, the stakeholders of Chuckey-Doak High School believe:
·All students have the right and the ability to learn.
·Mutual respect and accountability among students, teachers, and parents is necessary for a positive learning environment.
·Educational decisions should be data driven and research based to meet state standards.
·A variety of extracurricular activities encourages students to pursue their individual interests and talents.
·Students learn best when they are actively engaged in the learning process in a safe, clean, orderly, and enjoyable environment.
·A variety of courses to meet the diverse needs of all students should continue to be offered to allow students to improve fundamental skills as well as higher order thinking skills.
History of Chuckey Doak High School
Doak High School was located in Tusculum and Chuckey High School was located in Chuckey both within a distance of only five miles. The two schools served grades 1 through 12 for the neighboring communities. By the year 1957, it became apparent that additional classroom facilities would have to be provided at both schools to take care of rapidly increasing enrollment. Land was not available for expansion at Doak.
Neither of the schools had adequate science departments, homemaking, or library facilities to meet student demands. Mr. Walt Williamson and other members of the Greene County Board of Education allocated $350,000 dollars to build a new school that would combine the two high schools.
The Henry Sentelle property at Afton was selected as the site. Final plans were approved and the contract was awarded late in 1958. It was a day of rejoicing and thanksgiving when, on November 5, 1959, 243 students boarded buses and moved into the new building. The school staff for the year 1959 - 1960 consisted of Principal Claude P. Justis and eleven teachers. Bobby Broyles was the only coach then and he decided the new high school needed a mascot. Black Knights was selected based on the Army basketball team. School colors were based on Vanderbilt’s black, gold, and gray.
The agriculture department eventually moved to a separate metal building and the building area was renovated into two classrooms. Two portable classrooms are located in the rear parking lot to alleviate the over-crowding as the school continues to grow.
The 1999-2000 school year once again brought enrollment beyond the normal capacity of the school. As a result, the school board made a decision to build a new high school to alleviate the overcrowding by building a new school just south of the 1959 building. The new school opened the doors officially for the 2004-2005 school year.