CHUCKEY-DOAK HIGH SCHOOL
PHYSICAL EDUCATION SYLLABUS
Units will be taught on team sports and lifetime sports.
Students will need a portfolio (3-prong folder) to keep W.O.D. & journal assignments entries.
Grades will be based on:
Proper dress and class participation - 50%
Skills and Rules Test - 30%
Midterm Test - 10%
Semester Test - 10%
Proper Dress for Class
1. A complete change of athletic clothing must be worn, including t-shirt or sweatshirt, shorts or sweatpants, socks and tied tennis shoes. No jeans shorts, ragged, cut-off or torn shorts, sweatpants, or shirts will be permitted. No school clothes should be worn over or under physical education class.
2. Classes may be held outdoors. Be prepared daily with a jacket, sweatshirt and/or sweatpants.
3. No jewelry should be worn during class since it can pose a safety hazard.
Lockers and Locker Rooms
1. One small locker in the physical education locker room will be assigned to each student. During class, a lock should be put on the locker with all belongings locked inside. After class, physical education clothes must be locker in the assigned locker or taken home.
2. The physical education locker room is the only one that may be used.
3. Once class begins, no student will be allowed back into the locker room without permission from the teacher.
4. Valuables belongings (jewelry, purses, and wallets) must be locked in a locker during class. Leaving valuables lying around is only inviting theft. The physical education staff will not be responsible for lost or stolen articles.
1. Students will be given five minutes after the tardy bell rings and 15 minutes at the end of class to change clothes (more time will be allowed for those taking a shower).
2. All students will remain in the gym until the bell rings to end the period and they are dismissed.
3. Any injuries or emergences must be reported to the teacher during the class period so the proper action can be taken.
4. No student may ever leave the class, gym or locker room areas without permission from the teacher.
5. No one is allowed in the equipment room without permission from teacher.
6. Abuse, destruction or misuse of physical education equipment will not be tolerated. Obscene language, gestures, harassment or disrespect will not be tolerated.
1. A student well enough to be in school is generally well enough to be dress and participate in class. Any exception to this will be handled on an individual basis.
2. A student who has become ill at school will discuss the problem with the teacher before the start of class and a decision will be made as to the best course of action for the student to take.
3. Any student with an accused absence from school or excuse from class participation (doctors note only) will be required to make-up the points to for credit for the days missed.
1. The points earned for the semester will determine a student’s grade. Points will be earned for proper dress and for class participation. There will also be written and/or skill tests.
2. Dress points will be determined as follows.
· 0 days missed for dress = 100 points
· 1 days missed for dress = 93 points
· 2 days missed for dress = 92 points
· 3 days missed for dress = 85 points
· 4 days missed for dress = 84 points
· 5 days missed for dress = 77 points
· 6 days missed for dress = 76 points
· 7 days missed for dress = 69 points
How to earn make-up points for medical excuses or excused absence from class
1. A written summary of any sport article from a newspaper or magazine will earn 2.5 points. The summary should be at least 3-4 sentences in length and either includes a copy of the article or the author, source and date of the publication.
2. A sports article taken off the internet at least one page in length about any activity we have done in class will earn 2.5 points. A summary is required.
3. Laps may be jogged around the outside of the court next to the bleacher after class has been dismissed to dress. Four laps will be worth one point.
Make up points must be completed by Friday of the following that in which they were missed to get credit. If you are out sick or have planned absence, you know what needs to be done to make up for missed points. It is the responsibility of the student to earn required points. Every student
in the class can earn a good grade by participating each day and making up points for missed classes.